Written by Michele Wheat
Waste Prevention Activities
Why practice waste prevention?
- Reduce raw material costs
- Reduce purchasing costs
- Conserve valuable resources
- Reduce waste disposal costs
- Enhance your company's image
Waste prevention is any practice that eliminates or reduces solid waste that would otherwise be thrown out or recycled. The list below identifies every-day activities that can reduce the amount of waste your company generates. Promote these activities throughout your company and then publicize the amount of savings realized. Make waste prevention your first priority!
Purchasing and Shipping
- Purchase products in concentrated form or in bulk.
- Waste Reduction Tips For Businesses (PDF)
- Negotiate with suppliers to provide merchandise in returnable or reusable packaging or in packaging that you can recycle through your in-house recycling program.
- 8 Tips to Reduce Packaging Waste to Promote Sustainable Packaging
- Use durable containers instead of cardboard boxes for shipping items to branch offices, stores or warehouses.
- Wastes - Wastewise Program: Where are the Biggest Cost Savings?
- Establish a system for returning cardboard boxes and packaging materials to distributors for reuse.
- Reuse packaging materials from incoming shipments (such as boxes, newspaper, tissue paper, foam pads and polystyrene peanuts) as alternatives to buying new packing material.
- Reducing Waste in the Supply Chain
- Return, reuse and repair wooden pallets and crates.
- Waste Management, Reduction, Reuse & Recycling
- Repair rather than replace equipment. Purchase reused or reconditioned office partitions and remanufactured office equipment.
- Thinking outside the box: unwrapping a massive packaging problem
- Invest in equipment that prevents waste such as high-quality, durable, repairable equipment; copiers that automatically make double-sided copies; computer printers that do not discharge unused sheets of paper; and dishwashing equipment (along with durable cups, dishware and cutlery).
- How Your Business Can Cut Costs by Reducing Waste
- Purchase recharged copier, printer and fax cartridges.
Donate Used Items Instead of Paying for Disposal